Generally, setting up a home network is a relatively painless process. Most problems that do occur appear to be caused by firewalls. It is usually quite obvious if a firewall is blocking access to a machine as it will not be possible to ping the machine.
This article details how to configure various common firewalls to allow machines on a home network unrestricted access to each other.
Norton Internet Security:
- Open Norton Internet Security.
- Click Personal Firewall and the click Configure.
- Click on the Network tab.
- Click Trusted and click Add.
- Select Using a Range.
- Enter the ip addresses of the upper and lower ranges into the two boxes.
- Click OK. Close Norton Internet Security.
McAfee Internet Security:
- Open McAfee Security Center.
- Click Personal Firewall Plus on the left.
- Click Options.
- Click the Trusted IP Addresses tab.
- Click Add.
- Click Add an IP Address Range.
- Enter the From and To IP Addresses.
- Click OK and OK again. Close McAfee Security Center.
Windows Firewall XP sp2 only:
- Go to Control Panel and open Windows Firewall.
- Click on the Exceptions tab.
- Ensure that File and Printer Sharing is checked.
- Click OK.
Zone Alarm v6.1:
- Open Zone Alarm.
- Select Firewall->Zones
- Select Add->IP Address Range
- Select Trusted from the Zone drop-down list.
- Type the Beginning IP Address and the Ending IP Address in the field.
- Type some optional text in the Description field and click OK.
Black Ice PC Protection 3.6
- Open up Black Ice.
- Go to Tools->Edit Black Ice Settings
- Select the Intrusion Detection tab.
- Click Add.
- Enter a range of ip adresses, eg 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.110
- Click OK.
PC-Cillin Internet Security 2006
- Open PC-Cillin Internet Security 2006.
- Click on Network Security on the left hand side.
- Click Personal Firewall on the right.
- Ensure that Protect Computer from Internet Attacks is checked
- In the Choose a Profile section select Home Network.
- Click Apply.
Panda Platinum 2006 Internet Security
- Open Platinum Internet Security 2005 by clicking on Start, Programs and then Panda Platinum Internet Security 2005.
- Expand the Firewall protection option using the arrow on the right.
- Select Settings.
- In Programs with access to the network, click on Settings.
- To check if the problem is caused by a program that is blocked in the firewall, click on Regenerate list.
By doing this only the basic operating system programs will be able to access the Internet. For the rest of the programs, a message will appear asking you to configure the connection permissions. Configure the permissions for each program.
- Click on Close to return to the previous screen. In this screen, click on the Adaptors tab.
- Make sure that the network adaptor you are using is configured as local area network, as this option allows shared folders to be accessed in the computer and allows the applications installed that use shared resources to work correctly.
- Finally, click on OK in all screens and check that your computer is working correctly.